Types of Electric Vehicle Chargers - EV Charging Stations in India
Are you looking for an EV charger for personal use, dealership, building an EV charging station or, want to enhance your knowledge? We got your back! Yes, you landed on the right page. Below you'll find all the types of Electric Vehicle chargers we see in India.
There three main types of EV Chargers – rapid, fast, and slow. Measurement of power is in kilowatts (kW). Take note these represent the power outputs and therefore charging speeds, possible to charge an EV. Each charger variant has an associated set of connectors designed for low- or high-power use and either AC or DC charging. There are 3-charge point types and various connectors.
These are the fastest charger for any EV, usually located at locations close to main routes in the country. The devices provide high power direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC) to recharge a car as rapidly as attainable.
Depending on the model and brand, EVs can be recharged to 80% within 20 minutes, though an average modern EV would take around an hour on a standard 50 kW rapid charge point. At first, the car charges at normal-speed, though the car will reduce charging speed as the battery gets closer to full charge. As such, terms are quoted at the-charge of 80%, after which the charging speed contracts significantly. It maximises charging efficiency and helps protect the battery. These rapid chargers can be used only with vehicles with rapid-charging capability.
- Rapid DC: Most common chargers in India. These chargers provide power at 50 kW (125A). Connectors typically charge an EV to 80% in 20 minutes to an hour, depending on battery capacity and starting state of charge.
- Ultra-Rapid DC: Provide power at 100 kW or more. These are mostly either 100 kW, 150 kW, or 350 kW – though other maximum speeds between these figures are possible. According to Zap-Map, "These are the next-generation of rapid charge points, able to keep recharging times down despite battery capacities increasing in newer EVs."
- 50 kW DC charging on one of two connector types
- 43 kW AC charging on one connector type
- 100+ kW DC ultra-rapid charging on one of two connector types
- All rapid units have tethered cable
These are Type-2 AC Chargers. Fast chargers are rated at either 7 kW or 22 kW (single- or three-phase 32A). Charging times vary on unit speed and the vehicle, but a 7 kW charger will recharge a compatible EV with a 40 kWh battery in 4-6 hours and a 22 kW charger in 1-2 hours. Fast chargers tend to be found at locations such as car parks, shops, supermarkets, or leisure centres, where you are likely to be parked for an hour or more.
Untethered units are therefore more flexible and could be used by any EV with the correct cable. Charging rates when using a fast charger will depend on the car’s on-board charger, with not all models able to accept 7 kW or more. These models can still be plugged into the charge point, but will only draw the maximum power accepted by the on-board charger. Almost all EVs and PHEVs can charge on Type 2 units, with the correct cable at least. It is by far the most common public charge point standard around, and most plug-in car owners will have a cable, with a Type 2 connector charger-side. The vast majority of fast chargers provide AC charging, though some networks are installing 25 kW DC chargers with CCS or CHAdeMO connectors.
- 7kW fast charging on one of three connector types
- 22kW fast charging on one of three connector types
- Units are either untethered or have tethered cables
These are the most commonly available chargers in the Indian market. Power output is 3 kW – 6 kW and the car will be charged between 8 - 12 hours. You will have to keep your car overnight to be in full-charge.
- 3 kW – 6 kW slow charging on one of four connector types
- Charging units are either untethered or have tethered cables
- Includes mains charging and from specialist chargers
- Often covers home charging
Need Further Assistance?
Need more assistance or your EV charger? We at Kazam care for our pro EV shoppers and provide them with complete EV solutions. From range, financial aspect, space concerns to the battery and charging solutions. Book your appointment now! For more information, visit Kazam EV at https://www.kazam.in/ or send us a message at our social handles Kazam EV, and we will get back to your kazamly!