Are we missing out on Electric Vehicles (EV) due to absence of Electric Vehicles Charging Stations at Petrol Pumps?
What will come first and boost the electric vehicle industry in India? The electric vehicle or the electric vehicle charging station? A dilemma!
As of now, we do have many electric vehicles in the Indian market. Yet, the Indian consumers still have range anxieties among them. The only way to overcome range anxieties fear is to provide the Indian consumers with EV charging stations every here-and-there.
Where can we notice charging stations in India?
You'll find public charging stations in India around these parking places:
- Office Spaces
- Shopping Malls
- Residential Apartments
Open your google maps and search for Electric charging stations near me or EV charging stations near me and you'll find many!
What about Petrol Pumps?
India has the ability to install electric vehicle charging stations i.e. EV charging kiosks at petrol pumps.
Surprisingly, From 2018-2019 we heard about HP getting electric vehicle stations and Indian government making it mandatory for oil pumps to have alternative fuel options. Yet, as of 2020, we didn't get to see actions into it.
In 2021, things have changed, the government is focusing on the EV automobile industry as a whole but making sure that the previous laws are reflected.
What the Government has to say about it?
Government is supporting the electric vehicle industry in the Indian Market. In September 2020, the Government announced its plans to build at least one e-charging kiosk at around 69,000 petrol pumps across the country.
Union Minister Nitin Gadkari stated that the next 5-years are crucial for the Indian market in the electric two-wheeler and electric three-wheeler segment.
Petrol pumps must have an option of one alternative fuel option, stated under the new guidelines - oil ministry. But it will make a huge difference when the existing petrol pumps would also install EV charging kiosks. According to the reports of September 2020, the Government is considering making it compulsory to install EV charging kiosks at all Company-Owned, Company-Operated (COCO) petrol pumps of state refiners.
Government has taken several steps to promote electric vehicles in India. Following are some of them:
- Reduction of GST to 5% in the EV. "allowing delinking of battery cost of 2-3 wheelers from vehicle cost as it accounts for nearly 30 per cent of the cost etc."
- Vehicle Scrapping Policy
- Awareness of air pollution
- The power ministry is targeting plans of setting up EV charging infrastructure in Delhi (NCR), Chennai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Vadodara, Bengaluru, and Bhopal.
- In February 2021, Delhi's Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal launches ‘Switch Delhi’ campaign to promote electric vehicles in the Delhi (NCR).
All of the above only for the Indian citizens, encouraging them to switch from petrol/diesel cars to electric vehicles.
Petrol Pumps | Already ready with EV charging stations!
These are the petrol pumps that are already ready with the electric vehicle charging station.
- Charge And Drive Charging Station (Indian Oil) - Telangana, Hyderabad
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station (Indian Oil) - Nagpur, Maharashtra
According to our findings:
- Is India ready to install EV charging stations? YES
- Is the government of India assisting aid to the EV charging station? YES
What are we waiting for then? Indian customers go ahead, your EV is waiting for you. Slowly but surely the EV charges would be available everywhere around you. The time is now!