GUJARAT GOVERNMENT EV POLICY | Huge Incentives for using EVs
Many would agree that a global shift to electric vehicles is an important step in acquiring a carbon-free future. Mass adoption of electric vehicles is anticipated in the years ahead, driven primarily by policy incentives, rising incomes, and technological advancements.
Adding up to which the Government of India has shown clear indications that it is keen to accelerate India’s transition to Electric Vehicles (EVs).
The states with approved EV policies including Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, New Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Telangana, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat has joined the growing list of Indian states with dedicated EV policies.
The Gujarat government has announced a new scheme for the furtherance of electric vehicles (two and three-wheelers) in the state, under which it will be offering a subsidy to buyers of electric vehicles in the state. The policy was announced on the occasion of the completion of 11 years of the climate change department in the Gujarat Government.
The event also marked the E- signing of 10 MoUs between IITs, IIMs, BISAG, Anand Agricultural University, and GSRTC, Gujarat Gas, GUJCOST, GLPC, the chief town planner, GSTBM, and Knowledge Consortium of Gujarat.
Key Highlights of Gujarat Draft EV Policy 2019
To position Gujarat as a leader in the adoption of electric vehicles as well as establish a supportive environment to encourage manufacturers and investors for the development of the EV market.
( operative period: Up to 31st March 2022)
1. To transition the State’s transportation sector towards electric mobility in phases.
2. Make Gujarat a Manufacturing Hub for EV and ancillary equipment.
3. Encouraging investment in electric mobility
4. Job creation and research
Vehicle segment and target vehicles under the policy period
1. 80,000 of the EVs will be two-wheelers
2. 14,000, three-wheelers
3. 4,500 four-wheeler commercial taxis
4. 1,500 public buses
1. Housing & Commercial establishments: Allowing members to install charging stations with designated parking space
2. Municipal Corporations, to promote last-mile connectivity: Reserved parking/ charging facility for EVs.
3. For Govt. Employees and Visitors: Charging points to be provided in-office parking areas
Major Announcements Related To The Policy
1. The school ( Class IX and above ) and college students to get Rs 12,000 government subsidy on electric 2 wheelers.
2. Rickshaw drivers and self-employed persons to get Rs 48,000 government subsidy on electric three Wheelers.
3. The state government has set a target of 10,000 electric two-wheelers and 5000 electric three-wheelers on the roads.
4. 10 public charging stations will be set up in Ahmedabad, Vadodra, Surat, and Rajkot.
5. A sum of Rs 50 lakh has been allocated for setting up charging stations.
6. The Gujarat government has also announced that it will be installing charging stations at multi-level parking lots and public places across the state. The state government has entrusted Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) with this project. According to the reports, the multi-level parking lots will have an average capacity to charge 400 cars and 600 two-wheelers on each floor.
CM Vijay Rupani has asked officials to accord top priority to the formulation of the policy as PM Narendra Modi has called for the adoption of pollution-free EVs. Nonetheless, NITI Aayog has proposed that after 2030, only EVs should be sold in the country.